Our trip to St. Kitts Part 1

14 Jul

A Slice of Life

Bill Lites

As I remember, the year was 1987 and my wife, DiVoran, and I signed up with a group from work for an ‘All-Inclusive’ vacation week to the resort island of St. Kitts, located southeast of Puerto Rico between the Atlantic Ocean and the Caribbean Sea.  We had only been on cruise ship vacations in the Caribbean, and I was not sure what to expect.  However, my friends told me not to worry, and assured me that we would have a great time.  When the day of departure arrived, we were excited about the prospects of our ‘Caribbean Island Adventure’ as we packed our bags and waited for our daughter and son-in-law to drive us to the airport.

Image: https://www.lonelyplanet.com/maps/caribbean/saint-kitts-and-nevis 

The trip started with a three-hour chartered flight, on a Boeing 727, that flew us non-stop from Orlando, FL directly to what was then called the Golden Rock Airport on St. Kitts.  This was a pleasant flight and we landed in the afternoon in time to be transported to a luxurious hotel where we could relax some before our evening meal.  The local weather on the island was similar to our Central Florida weather, with warm humid days and a steady breeze off the ocean.

Photo by Bill Lites

One of the best things of this trip, for me, was the food.  It was much like being on a cruise ship, with your choice of delicious ‘all you could eat’ entrees and desserts three times each day.  The days were filled with a myriad of activities including golf, archery, hiking, swimming, boating, snorkeling, scuba diving, and exploring, all included as part of our package.  The other thing that was nice was being treated like royalty everywhere we went.  The staff couldn’t do enough for us, and we really enjoyed the special around-the-clock treatment.

Photo by DiVoran Lites

We spent some of the first morning swimming and snorkeling in the beautiful clear waters near the hotel.  The abundance of colorful fish was amazing.  I had always wanted to learn to scuba dive, so we signed up for the lessons for the next morning.  After lunch and a nap, we spent a restful time strolling the hotel grounds, where we found all kinds of colorful parrot feathers.  Then we moved on to the courtyard where we met some friends and spent some time talking about what all we were going to do while there.  

Photo By DiVoran Lites

The next morning, we spent several hours in the hotel pool with the local dive instructors learning what we needed to know about scuba diving.  That was a fairly intense time, and we were ready for some lunch and a nap for sure.  We met our dining friends for dinner that evening and had a wonderful time discussing our activities.

Photo by Bill Lites

The next morning, we took the dive instructor’s boat to a ship wreck site and began our first guided dive.  The instructors ran thru all the safety rules with us and helped us into our equipment.  By the time they got DiVoran’s equipment on her, and with the rocking of the boat, she could hardly walk.  Finally, two men helped her to the side of the boat and dropped her into the water.  She remembers, “I told them there was too much weight, but they said I needed all of it.  I sank to the bottom, and it was all I could do to keep from getting cut on the coral.”

Image: https://www.canstockphoto.com/illustration/scuba.html

There was an instructor with the two of us, guiding and helping us to and around the wreck.  I was having a good time, but DiVoran was having trouble with her mask fogging up and trying to stay upright.  She finally indicated to the instructor that she wanted to go up.  The instructor went up to the boat with DiVoran, while I looked around the wreck.  We weren’t that deep, so I could see that DiVoran was at the boat and okay.  I enjoyed the dive and was ready to do it again the next day, but DiVoran said she had had enough.  Needless to say we were ready for a rest and a delicious meal by the end of that day.  Looking back now on that whole scuba diving activity and the way it was handled, I’m not sure how adequate the pool instructions were, and if the dive itself was the safest.   But hey, we all had a good time (except maybe for DiVoran) and we all survive. 

Photo by Bill Lites

—–To Be Continued—-

Bill is a retired Mechanical engineer living with his wonderful artist/writer wife, DiVoran, of 63 years in Titusville, Florida. He was born and raised in the Southwest, did a tour of duty with the U.S. Navy, attended Northrop University in Southern California and ended up working on America’s Manned Space Program for 35 years. He currently is retired and spends most of his time building and flying R/C model airplanes, traveling, writing blogs about his travels for Word Press and supporting his wife’s hobbies with framing, editing and marketing.  He also volunteers with a local church Car Care Ministry and as a tour guide at the Valiant Air Command Warbird Museum there in Titusville.  Bill has two wonderful children, two outstanding grandchildren, and a loving sister and her husband, all of whom also live in Central Florida, so he and DiVoran are rewarded by having family close to spend lots of quality time with.

One of Bill’s favorite Scriptures is:  John 10:10

Thank you for stopping by and reading our posts. Your comments are welcomed.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: