Walking by Faith, Not by Sight
Janet Perez Eckles
I sat at a large table among friends at a restaurant famous for its delicious Bar-B-Q. The smell would make anyone’s mouth water. We laughed, made comments and oohed and aahed at the menu items.
And since I don’t eat red meat, I tasted delicious moments with dear friends instead.
I looked in the direction of the waiter standing beside me. “I’ll order a side salad and cole slaw…and a baked potato with nothing on it.”
“Sure,” he said, “And your meat? Ribs, steak, chicken, pork?”
“No I’m fine with my salad,”
“You mean…” he said with disbelief in his tone, “You don’t want to order any meat?”
I shook my head and grinned as I always do when folks ask me that question in that you-must-be-crazy tone.
The same happens even in airplanes. A passenger seated beside me and I chatted for a long time. I told him a bit of my story and we discussed faiths.
“I don’t believe in religions,” he said. “I think we’re here on this earth to serve a purpose for the next life and that’s it.”
“Interesting,” I said.
“For example,” he said, “since you like to help people and you can’t see, you probably will come back as a guide dog in your next life.”
And when I stated that Christ Jesus, the one who died for my sins, is the Lord of my life, the ruler of my days and my guarantee for life eternal in heaven, he gave the are-you-crazy tone similar to the waiter
That’s okay because in John 14, the Bible makes it all clear. We don’t come back as dogs or other creatures, we remain in heaven for eternity because…
- In heaven is where Jesus prepared a mansion for us.
- He extends that invitation to all.
- Jesus healed the sick to display His power.
- He transformed souls to leave room for freedom.
- He’s the only truth so we would see clearly.
- Jesus died on the cross to kill our sin.
- He rose from the dead, so we would, too.
- He wrote Scripture to guide our path.
- And finally He loves unconditionally, passionately, eternally so when the world lets us down, we can count on Him.
While you analyze the menu of religions, philosophies, beliefs and notions what do you choose to feed your soul?