Love’s Concentric Circles

10 Jul

I'm a winner

It seems my circle of love is not becoming smaller but concentric. A side benefit of having eleven aunts and uncles is a whole bunch of cousins. It doesn’t stop there as those cousins have children, creating even more cousins.

This week we were blessed to have a visit from my cousin, Susan and her children who live in Georgia. Her three children combined with our two grandchildren created some awesome and chaotic “cousins time” On the first day of their visit the children from teens to tweens had a blast at our local entertainment complex, The Factory”.

The Factory

The second day we loaded up two cars with picnic supplies, chairs and towels and visited a local swimming hole, Sliding Rock in the Pisgah National Forest.

This slideshow requires JavaScript.

Susan is the granddaughter of one of my favorite aunts during my childhood. Her grandmother Della, her husband and boys spent a lot of time with my family as I was growing up. We were a musical family and would “make music” when the families got together. Della sang a beautiful high soprano while my mother a strong Alto. Together with their boys and my brothers we had music voices covered all the way down to deep bass. Dad and mom also played the guitar. Oh the sweet hymns they sang. There was one they sang, that I still sing in my heart when I am feeling down, Come Unto Me.

My aunt Della died of a brain tumor when she was forty-seven. I was heartbroken but she left a legacy of love. I still miss her almost fifty years later.

7 Responses to “Love’s Concentric Circles”

1. divoran09 July 11, 2014 at 6:46 pm #

This was a beautiful post about family. I loved it as I love all your posts. I went to the hymn site and palyed the song all the way through singing all the verses. I’d never heard it before. It was great. I’m glad you shared that too and I wish I could have been there for your family musicales.

• Old Things R New July 11, 2014 at 6:55 pm #

I wish you could have too. In retrospect they were magical. I learned so much about God’s love from music. I’m glad you liked it.

2. fuonlyknew July 10, 2014 at 9:24 pm #

What a lovely picture for the concentric hearts. Family is why we were put here. I cherish my time spent with them and have a warm afterglow that lasts a long time when they go back home after visiting.
    That volcano grill is interesting. Never seen one before. And your picnic looks like it was a great adventure. The water slide looks fun too. I’ve done that before. You are much blessed Onisha!

• Old Things R New July 10, 2014 at 11:33 pm #

I am much blessed and glad you are too! I love the volcano grill because it works with propane, wood and charcoal. Plus it collapses and has a carrying case.

3. itsrebekahlyn July 10, 2014 at 6:24 pm #

While Onisha was playing with Susan in NC, I was playing with Susan’s brother Jeff and his grown children, here in Florida. I love having a large family.

4. Louise Gib son July 10, 2014 at 3:11 pm #

Family get-togethers are so heartwarming and provide warm memories to treasure always.