I Decided to Change Thanksgiving

28 Nov

This year, I decided to change Thanksgiving. Every year since my parents passed away and my Thanksgivingbrother’s chose to not spend the holiday with me, I have mourned, cried, tried denial and even went on a Thanksgiving cruise. Nothing has worked to chase away the Thanksgiving blues.  This year I am changing things up.

First, I am working on my attitude. To be truthful, I have tried this every year and haven’t been successful. I would be fine up to “THE DAY” but would find myself in tears as my heart listened to the echo of years past, of kitchen banter, sharing recipes, children stories and just being family.

Secondly I needed to find something new and challenging on which to place my focus. I decided instead of roasting a whole turkey or even a turkey breast, I would purchase fresh turkey breast in a half-breast size. I chose four; each between two to three pounds and each adult in the family would be responsible for seasoning one. I seized the opportunity to try brining a turkey.  I plan to rub it with poultry seasoning and garlic infused oil before popping it into the roaster. I can’t wait until my son and his wife arrive to find out how they are seasoning theirs. I think the mixture of flavors will make the house smell delicious.

Why am I, a woman who knows she is truly blessed sharing this story? Because very few people have perfect lives. At some point most of us will face sorrow, loss and possibly rejection. This is my way of coping and I wanted you to know that this Thanksgiving I will be praying for you, that your heart will be made whole and maybe you could do the same for me?

Update Friday November 29,2013

Thanksgiving was so wonderful I don’t have words to express it. Thank you for your prayers.

One of our turkey breasts was brined with red pepper, garlic powder and peppercorns, one used A1 dry rub and the last one was brushed with rosemary and lemon infused oil. Everyone was eager to test each one. They were all delicious but hands down the brined one was the favorite.

9 Responses to “I Decided to Change Thanksgiving”

1. oldthingsrnew November 29, 2013 at 10:40 am #

What a wonderful Thanksgiving! Thank you for those who read this and sent up a prayer. I prayed for each reader to have a wonderful day too.

2. Anne K. Albert November 28, 2013 at 12:31 pm #

We really do have to decide to make a change, don’t we Onisha? Like you, my family has suffered some loss, and in some ways it has dwindled to almost being non-existent. Still, I am thankful for what remains, what was, and more importantly, what will be.

Have a wonderful Thanksgiving, however, you decide to celebrate. 🙂

• oldthingsrnew November 28, 2013 at 1:35 pm #

Thank you, Anne. The what will be is what I am focusing on. You have a wonderful Thanksgiving too in your lovely home sitting place.

3. fuonlyknew November 28, 2013 at 11:11 am #

I wish I was more eloquent with my thoughts. You have made me smile on a quiet day. My son and I are alone this Thanksgiving and I we are going to spend it playing cards and laughing. Our traditional gathering doesn’t happen anymore and I’be been at a loss on what to do. How could I not see what was right before me? My son. Just having a day to spend together with no work or distractions is rare and special. Bless you and your family.

• oldthingsrnew November 28, 2013 at 11:31 am #

I guess we get so caught up in the past, we forget to see what is in front of us. Thanks for the reminder. I will be thinking of you laughing and playing cards.

4. ludyja November 28, 2013 at 9:35 am #

Alta, you are truly blest! God has given you the makings of a true Thanksgiving. Enjoy the day.

5. oldthingsrnew November 28, 2013 at 9:04 am #

You are so right, Mrs. Gibson. I usually manage to adjust and be thankful but this holiday has been defeating me. My usual attitude is “just suck it up”. Maybe this thorn is a gift to make me more aware of other’s pain.

6. Louise Gib son November 28, 2013 at 7:48 am #

Aw-w-w! Alta, you brought tears to my eyes. As we get older circumstances do change…too often not to our liking, but we must alter our thinking at the same time. I have learned to be contented with such things as I have. All of my grandchildren and great-grandchildren live up North, along with my first-born…but I still have Janice (who is not only my daughter, but my companion, and Scott, a caring son). “Happy Thanksgiving, dear one”. Let’s concentrate on our blessings this day

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )