Walking by Faith, Not by Sight
Janet Perez Eckles
I wasn’t prepared to hear this revelation. A group of seven folks sat around the table, eager to learn about the writing craft. And I planned to impart all I knew about my writing journey.
“How about if we share a bit about our story,” I said, hoping to know a bit about them.
Everyone took their turn. And then the lady seated in a wheelchair to my left spoke.
“I lost my leg. But I still have my courage,” she said in a peaceful tone.
I gave a silent gasp. She not only had a leg amputated, but she lost her sight too.
“I want to write my story,” she said, “to inspire others who might be feeling sorry for themselves,”
Admirable desire for sure. But little did she know that God had already written her story. He wrote all the details: He knew the moment she would receive the bad news from the doctor. He knew the limitations put on her life. He had written her future. He jotted down her every need and He’s still writing her story.
He’s also writing your story and mine, too. So we can be free to let go that anxiety about the future and instead, take a deep breath of relief. He’s aware of what we’re facing. What is being cut off from our life. What is diminishing. What we lost. What we miss. He knows the joy and hard times of tomorrow. And best of all, He’s written in the tablet of His love our victory over grief.
That tablet is the Bible. No matter what you’re missing in life, whisper these six truths found in Psalm 139. They will soothe your soul:
- He knows me intimately. “O LORD, you have searched me and you know me.”
- He knows my every move. “You know when I sit and when I rise…”
- Even my thoughts are familiar to Him. “You perceive my thoughts from afar.”
- He knows where I came from and where I’m going. “You discern my going out and my lying down; you are familiar with all my ways.”
- He knows what I’ll say, “Before a word is on my tongue you know it completely…O LORD.”
- He is close enough to touch my pain. “You have laid your hand upon me.”
If He knows your thoughts, your words, ways and whims, how can He not know how to soothe your soul?
May I pray for you?
I considerate it a privilege to pray for you. Please send updates to previous prayer requests, too. You can send them HERE.