Helping Hands in Franklin, North Carolina

2 Mar

Helping Hands

30 Hour Famine

On Saturday, we came across helping hands in a surprising place, outside of the Walmart in Franklin, NC. At first I wasn’t sure what the group of teens and adults were doing as I was distracted by the sight of two guys trying to set up a small tent. Now, I know RV folks will often spend the night in a Walmart parking lot and call it Walmart camping, but a tent?  As I drew closer, I saw a table with cans and boxes of food with teens holding up signs stating they were hungry and asking people to donate to the local food pantry, CareNet.  I waved at them and  made a mental promise to stop and drop off food as we left. As I shopped,  I drew on my observations of the items that were popular at Compassion House and avoided green beans and corn. Leaving the Walmart parking lot we dropped off our contributions and were rewarded with big grins and thank yous. As we pulled away, I decided I wanted a picture for this post. Fortunately Rebekah was with me and she agreed to walk over to them and ask to take a picture.

Franklin, NC JPEG

As we drove through downtown and took a few wrong turns we saw two other 30 Hours of Famine drop offs. Now I really wanted to know more. Fortunately, the event had a nice article in the local free paper and explained that the participating youth fast for 30 Hours to experience what the world’s poorest children and families experience everyday. Another benefit is that teens can see firsthand how they can make an impact in people’s lives.

If you would like to read more about 30 Hours of Famine click the link below.

Franklin area students to fight hunger, save lives during 30 Hour Famine

Do you volunteer in a local helping hands capacity or are you part of an organization that does? Leave a comment with permission for me to contact you. I would love to share your story!

7 Responses to “Helping Hands in Franklin, North Carolina”

1. Scott Bury March 7, 2016 at 1:03 pm #

It’s always so encouraging to see these kinds of efforts taking place. It’s like an antidote to the news.

2. dianequicksilvernovels March 7, 2016 at 12:26 pm #

It’s wonderful to see young people learning to help others. We often send our checks and never see the faces of those who are helping. Thanks for posting this!

3. bobnailor March 7, 2016 at 12:11 pm #

Just when you’re about to give up on today’s youth – they pull a stunt like thisj, and once more, give you a reason for faith. Great article.

4. Calasade March 7, 2016 at 8:45 am #

Homelessness and hunger are two things which ought not exist in a developed country.

• Old Things R New March 7, 2016 at 9:10 am #

They shouldn’t exist but I am encouraged by the number of people who are making a difference.

5. divoran09 March 2, 2016 at 11:06 am #

You’re rollin’ and very good it was too.

6. itsrebekahlyn March 2, 2016 at 9:24 am #

Pretty amazing to learn they fast for 30 hours. It is encouraging to see teens willing to sacrifice like that. This encounter helps to restore my faith in the goodness of people.