The Science Project

6 Oct

Author, Poet and ArtistWhen I invited my friend, six-grader, Natasha, to allow me to help her where she was stuck with her reading I never dreamed the connection might morph into that dreaded thing, a science project!

I don’t think I’ve ever done one. I would remember, wouldn’t I? My son turned out to be a scientist (biologist) so I suppose he did one or two. I taught him and my daughter to cook, does that count?

The first time Natasha and I worked on the science project after school was the first day I decided to have decaf coffee for my afternoon cuppa. My brain was totally fried, I was confused and had the beginning of a headache which later developed into a real zinger. In one place Natasha put her head in her hand with her cornrow braids and their big beads hanging down. I thought the gig was up for me.

We did get some things done and another day we worked on it some more, then yesterday I picked her up from chorus and we came to my house. I had my coffee this time. I’m going to have to break myself of it grain by grain, I guess.

Anyhow, we had done some work on the botany-type project. We got our containers, and mediums and she’d written her hypothesis, and her question and we’d read the instructions – goodness how hard they are! I should have only read the numbered topics. Those I understood.

Before she came I was getting that tight feeling in my chest that tells me I’m anxious. Oh, what shall I do. I don’t want to be like this. I prayed. As always I asked God to show me the truth of the situation. The thought came to me that I might as well stop acting like a big-shot who knew everything and tell her I’d never done one before.

As it happens Natasha has done at least three of them. She was undismayed at my confession. I think putting our heads together did help her.

We got it all started, and then we took photos. I showed her how to use the digital camera and the computer to enhance and print them. We’ll take more sets of pictures as time goes on. She will measure the progress of the items ten times over a period of a couple of months. Her mom is going to have a baby soon. We talked about this project being Natasha’s baby and how she’ll have to think about it and write something every day, because that’s was in the instructions. We had fun. We talked about doing some art to go with it. We like to do art. Natasha said she has to do a graph. I nervously asked if she knew how. She described the process to me and then I knew I could lend aid whenever possible, but that she’s going to do a good job and I completely turn loose of it. What a relief.

I think I’ll look up the website printed on the instructions and learn something, http://www.sciencebuddies.org/ We’re on our way.

7 Responses to “The Science Project”

1. James Prescott October 8, 2014 at 12:38 pm #

I don’t really remember doing science projects, so this all sounds really interesting & quite exciting! Love it.

2. tarafairfield October 6, 2014 at 7:41 pm #

I actually miss those days when my children were working on science projects and am looking forward to helping with my grandchildren.

3. itsrebekahlyn October 6, 2014 at 6:30 pm #

I don’t remember minding doing the actual project, it was coming up with the hypothosis and all of the other technical writing that bothered me.

4. bobnailor October 6, 2014 at 1:08 pm #

Science projects. I always exploded with grand ideas and usually failed to complete but I had fun in the process. My best project was the incubation of eggs for 21 days and getting a chick to hatch on the day of project. It started to hatch about 1 hr before show time but I was happy. The teacher and class watched my 8th grade project finalize. lol. Hope you have a lot of fun.

5. writtencommunications October 6, 2014 at 11:14 am #

It always surprises me how hard it is to recall those lessons we learned so many decades ago. I remember trying to explain algebra to my kids, a subject I got As in in high school. But wow, it was a lot harder to work out those word problems in my 40s.

6. elysesalpeter October 6, 2014 at 11:05 am #

Ha! Give me a science project ANY day over a math homework assignment! Of course, I went to school for pre-med and now I’m in ad sales and a writer – but that’s for another post. 🙂

7. Louise Gibson October 6, 2014 at 8:46 am #

Delightfully candid, DiVoran. I admire your tenacity. : – )