Jane

18 Oct

I am writing this on Sunday night. Monday I am having my third cornea transplant and I just can’t seem to gather my thoughts to write a sensible blog so I am offering you a look into my secret life. Mind you, I am not worried about the surgery, after all, I have done this twice already. My concern is nothing to eat or drink after midnight and I won’t have surgery until at least 11:30! Seriously, I am supposed to go hours in the morning without coffee?

My mother always told me “your name goes further than your face,” and she was right. Many times I know of people by name but don’t have a clue what they look like. Have you ever met someone who, when you were introduced would say something like “I am so glad to meet you, Suzy Q has spoken often of you?”

Names are important so why do I use a pseudonym in public?  I have an unusual name and EVERYWHERE I go whether it be a restaurant or Starbucks, I have to spell it. I am not a patient person so after a course of trial and error, I found the perfect “list name”, JANE. The same people who couldn’t spell Ann or Sue have no problem with Jane. I don’t understand it. Please don’t use my idea and choose Jane for your “list name” because I am pretty sure I would have trouble remembering a fake last initial.

Transplant information

All joking aside, I am extremely grateful for the family who chose to restore my sight by donating a loved ones cornea. It is a gift I will receive with both joy and sadness. To lose someone you love is a lifelong sorrow. I have been praying they will feel the comfort of our creator’s peace and rest.

7 Responses to “Jane”

1. fuonlyknew October 18, 2012 at 4:58 pm #

I am so happy for you Onisha and God Bless the family who donated so that you can see! I hope all goes well and look forward to SEEING you back here soon.

In my prayers:)
    Laura

• Onisha Ellis (@onisha) October 18, 2012 at 9:06 pm #

I began praying for them a couple of weeks before my surgery. It is humbling to know that someone is going to die soon, leave loved ones devastated and I am going to be blessed.

2. Linda Lewis October 18, 2012 at 1:16 pm #

I hope you came through the surgery well, Onisha (Jane). My thoughts are with you. I’m having cataract removals, with the first one Nov. 1st, and the 2nd 2-3 weeks later. May we both be seeing much better soon. Take care.

• Onisha Ellis (@onisha) October 18, 2012 at 2:46 pm #

You will be seeing so much better afterwards. I had to have cataracts removed in conjunction with cornea surgery. Sending you healing prayers for your surgery.

• Linda Lewis October 18, 2012 at 2:52 pm #

Thank you, Onisha. I’m so glad I ‘met’ you.

3. DiVoran Lites October 18, 2012 at 9:15 am #

What a lovely interlude with Onisha, or is it Jane? Anyhow, I always read straight through whatever she writes eager to see what happens in the next sentence.

• Onisha Ellis (@onisha) October 18, 2012 at 2:48 pm #

My life is already confused. I keep Jane locked up when I’m not at Starbucks or a restaurant. Thank you for your very kind words.

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )