I’m Looking For a Few Good Authors

17 May

I’m looking for a few good authors. I’d like them to be no older than forty years of age. I’ve reached the time of life when the authors I spent my youth and middle age with are dying.  It just isn’t right.  One should never outlive their children or their favorite authors. I will tell you who my favorites are and you can tell me yours.

My all time favorite author is D.E. Stevenson. Here is what Wikipedia says about her. D.E. Stevenson was born in 1892 in Edinburgh, Scotland, and was educated at home by governesses. She started to write at eight, but because her parents and governesses disapproved she had to do this in secret. She later wanted to go to university but her father refused, concerned about having an educated woman in the family. Stevenson was married in 1916 to a captain in the 6th Ghurkha Rifles.

Isn’t that an  amazing bio? She died in 1973 after writing forty novels. It took me years to find all her books but I think I may have read almost all of them and she is one of the few authors I collect. Her books transported me to the gentle countryside of Scotland into the lives of everyday people getting into scrapes  and of course, food was mentioned a lot, which explains to some degree my fascination with her books.

After Stevenson there is no particular order to my favorite deceased authors. I do genuinely miss Eugenia Price. The St. Simon’s Trilogy was a favorite for myself as well as my daughter, requiring a girl’s weekend to St. Simons Island to visit the marshes and cemetery we felt a bond with. Even today all I have to say to my daughter is “John died” and we tear up. Now that is writing. Savannah Quartet is not to be missed either. I went to Goodreads to skim some reviews and refresh my memory and I was saddened to see how hardened some readers are. They can’t relate to a time when human honor and duty were valued.

Eugenia died in 1996 and was buried in her beloved Christ Church cemetery on St. Simon. I foresee another trip to the island to visit her grave. She is buried step away from the pastor she immortalized in her books.

Since I have a self-imposed five hundred-word limit for my blog posts, I can see this will have to be continued. I would love to hear from you. Which authors have you read for years and now they are gone?

: Christ Episcopal Church

: Christ Episcopal Church (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

6 Responses to “I’m Looking For a Few Good Authors”

1. itsrebekahlyn May 17, 2012 at 7:36 pm #

I do miss Eugenia Price. Morgan Llywelyn needs to write something new too.

2. jrobayo74 May 17, 2012 at 11:08 am #

When I found out Robert Ludlum passed, it hit pretty hard. I believe most of my authors are alive and well, but I do mourn the fact that I’ll never see a blog by Jules Verne or Charles Dickens, and of course, I would’ve love to share thoughts with the real Jane Eyre.
    But if it’s any consolation, delving into their work is like having them alive and well.
    This was a very moving post, Onisha. It gave me much perspective.

• oldthingsrnew May 17, 2012 at 11:37 am #

I hadn’t even thought about the joys of following the blog of one of my favorites. Now I miss them even more. Will blogs be a joy to younger readers of modern day authors or hindrance? I wonder if knowing too much about a favorite author would strip away the mystery.

3. DiVoran May 17, 2012 at 8:01 am #

I love this entry. I’ve been thinking about it since I perused it the first time. I keep coming up with the same answer–hang onto to D. E. with both hands. Rebekah Lynn and I were talking about TV shows and how they always cancel the ones we like. We have agreed several times that when it comes to books and other media we have taste outside the common run. This goes back to your epiphany on vampires. We are a large group, who love the good things in life, so I wonder why we don’t have the voice the others have. I guess we’re not scary or sensational enough and maybe we don’t buy enough of the products they sell on TV. We are a force in the world far beyond the vampire crowd, though. One of our ilk has more moxy than ten thousand of theirs, the Bible says so, except not exactly in those words. Well, this was supposed to be a comment. I think it turned into something else. The first letter of what it turned into is r.

love ya

• oldthingsrnew May 17, 2012 at 10:33 am #

Enjoyed your r.

• Linda Lewis July 26, 2012 at 4:49 pm #

Thanks for giving me the names of authors you’ve enjoyed, Onisha. I’ll check them out! I feel like a kid at Christmas. :0)

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )