March is a Lion

24 Mar

I'm a winner

I can’t believe March is flying past.  We decided to depart Florida early to address a mud slide issue on our property in North Carolina, as well as get a head start on greening up our neglected grass. The first week we were here was spent enjoying time with our daughter and visiting the Great Smoky Mountain National Park. After she left we began to plan how we were going to address our issues.

Phone calls were made, lists were started, prices were checked and then we seem to have stalled. One of our projects was to have a walkway poured from our drive to the front door. We have stepping-stones but we want to be proactive, should either of us need a walker in the future. It turns out that folks who create walk ways are not fond of returning calls. Fortunately we have a Plan B. Today my husband and I removed the stepping-stones and stacked them to repurpose into stairs to husband’s shop.

Stones B&W

We did receive call backs on Wednesday from two contractors but their price was too high for our shallow pockets. Fortunately, we know a handyman who works at an hourly rate. Our current plan is for my husband and the handyman to build the forms and pour the concrete themselves. So hopefully, we will have a lovely new walkway before we return to Florida.

We have yet to buy fertilizer, lime and grass seed. We made a trip into town to buy them at Ace Hardware only to discover the local Ace does not carry them. We had priced them in the Georgia town that is south of us when we were down there for breakfast. We held off on buying and spreading the seed due to a cold snap. We hope to have them purchased and spread by Monday.

Of course the most important project, the mud slide has yet to be figured out. Our last plan is to rake the mud area smooth and plant Kentucky 31 Tall Fescue and hope it will hold the hill. I am wondering if those stepping-stones we moved could be used here in some way.

Mudslide

All of this must be wrapped up in one week. I feel as if March came in like a lion and is going out like a lion. The only lamb in sight is the Holy Lamb of God whose resurrection we will be celebrating this Sunday.

UPDATE 3/28/2016

After writing this my husband’s nagging cough turned into a full blown sinus infection. On the bright side,the weather here in the hills is beautiful with highs in the 60s, coaxing buds and blossoms from their winter’s slumber. The high 80s and possible 90 degree temps are going to be a shock to my senses when we return to Florida.

10 Responses to “March is a Lion”

1. victoriabenchley March 29, 2016 at 12:00 pm #

I know what you mean about contractors not returning calls. Sometimes they agree to come, but never show! My husband & I have found that if we are capable of doing the job, it turns out far better if we perform it ourselves! Good luck on your project & hopefully that sinus infection is better now too!

• Old Things R New March 30, 2016 at 10:50 pm #

My husband always did the home repairs and he is having a rough time counting on outside help.

2. elysesalpeter March 28, 2016 at 1:00 pm #

Oh no, you have only a week to do everything and now your husband is sick? I feel for you guys. Don’t you wish you were just rich enough so that you could just call the most expensive guy and just get it all done for you? Sigh – to dream.

3. Scott Bury March 28, 2016 at 12:27 pm #

Isn’t it amazing how the simplest steps in a complex project are often the most difficult to accomplish?

4. bobnailor March 28, 2016 at 12:07 pm #

You definitely have your work cut out for you. As to the mud slide area, you “could” attempt to staircase the stepping stones but it appears to be very sloped and I fear the steps will slide, too. Perhaps a truckload of stones (no bigger than fist-sized, even smaller, like large river-wash) could make it less of an eyesore and keep the dirt from sliding. You could place some flowers in the stones to give it color OR even a bush or two, like an evergreen holly, azalea or a collection of rhodies.

• Old Things R New March 28, 2016 at 2:42 pm #

Those are great suggestions, Bob. I really like the truckload of stones idea. I would love a collection of rhodies.

5. divoran09 March 25, 2016 at 8:44 am #

Loved your post. Why is it we love the small everyday stories so much? It takes real effort and a lot of thought to maintain a home, but it’s so, so worth it.

• dianequicksilvernovels March 28, 2016 at 3:57 pm #

When we lived in Colorado, we had to stabilize a hill like that. We brought in boulders and created planting shelves. The rocks stepped down the hillside in terraces and worked great. Of course it took some equipment to grade and lift them into place to make it stable. If you don’t, the plants can slide down again if the soil gets super-saturated. Big project that takes more than a week I’m afraid. Sorry.